Over the years in practice Dr. Rowe has helped many of her patients stop smoking. As a former smoker, she understands the difficulties people encounter while trying to quit smoking. Of the many services she provides in practice, she feels this is one of the most important. The health risks involved with smoking cigarettes are well known, yet it remains one of the toughest habits to break.
The process she uses most frequently in practice is two part. The first part is acupuncture that is applied to the ears that detoxifies the brain of nicotine and rebalances the brain chemistry. The second part is a customized program of herbs and homeopathics to heal the respiratory function, calm the mind and reduce any residual cravings for tobacco. Depending on the amount of cigarettes smoked and the number of years smoking, most smokers will successfully stop smoking between 4-6 sessions.
Of all the healthcare choices you make this year, make a commitment to stop smoking or at least reduce your consumption of cigarettes. The long term health benefits you receive in making this choice will far outweigh any of the discomfort you encounter getting there.
Cigarette smoking is one of the hardest habits to break because not only is there a powerful physiological component but for most people the psychological addiction they have to smoking is the harder habit to break.
1. Be totally committed to the process. To stop smoking means that you must throw out your cigarettes, dispose of your ashtrays and lighters, clean and detail all the areas where you smoke and stay away from the people and places where you smoked.
2. If you find in the process of quitting you smoked a cigarette, don't give up!
Take it as a small setback on the road to quitting. It's just part of process, learn and move on.
3. Drink plenty of water to aid in the body's detoxification process.
4. Avoid alcohol during the first month that you stop smoking as that it can frequently trigger the desire for a cigarette.
5. Limit sugars, carbohydrates and caffeine during the process. Focus on fresh foods, vegetables, salads and fruits to stave off any food cravings you experience.
Dr. Karen Rowe, AP, DOM services the following cities for Acupuncture and Alternative Medicine: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach, Weston, Plantation, Boca Raton, Wilton Manors and Oakland Park. Please call to schedule an appointment @ 954-663-4325
Copyright Fort Lauderdale Acupuncture, Inc. All rights reserved 2015.